Tuesday 29 August 2017

Ain't That A Kick in the Head? #RPGaDay2017

29. What has been the best-run Kickstarter you have backed?

Hmm, this is a tough one, because I'm a relative newcomer to backing Kickstarters at all. Not for lack of wanting to, but because I mostly don't have the extra cash. I've only backed a handful of things, and most of them have delivered quite nicely. I've never backed anything that didn't produce a product at the end of it, luckily.

I was very pleased with MONSTERHEARTS 2, which didn't make gigantic changes to the original game, but felt like it both expanded and contracted in excellent ways. The final product is very polished, and I was very happy to give Avery Alder my cash.

I also recently backed HARLEM UNBOUND, a Call/Trail of Cthulhu sourcebook for the Harlem Renaissance. That was an amazing read that adds an entirely new dimension to a fairly well-trodden segment of the gaming world, and maps out a world I would love to explore in a game.

I also backed BLUEBEARD'S BRIDE, a fairly unusual twist on the familiar PbtA formula, and it's been a little slower with releases, but then again I think their stretch goals went way above and beyond the basic materials of the game.

You may have noticed that these three have something in common: they're all small press books, even by RPG industry standards. I usually don't feel obligated to kick in money for a project that's coming out of one of the larger presses (like Pelgrane), because I'm pretty sure those games will already happen without my support. I want to make sure that the little guys doing interesting stuff get a chance to get their stuff out there, so that's where I put my modest amount of cash. I haven't been disappointed yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment